Sunday, January 27, 2008

Eggplant Moussaka



I was wondering what to do with the left over gravy from this afternoon's lunch. It was a toss between Eggplant Parmigiano or Moussaka. I did not realise that the Parmigiano calls for a meatless sauce, so Moussaka it was.

I decided that I will make do with whatever ingredients I had on hand. From my scoop around the net I noticed that its important to salt the eggplant slices and leave it to rest for at least 30 minutes before draining and wiping BUT I really didn't have the patience and time for that. So here is my fuss free, dump whatever you have Moussaka.

1 large Eggplant sliced, salted and rubbed with olive oil and roasted in the oven
Meat Sauce
Breadcrumbs
Cheddar cheese shredded
Parmesan Cheese for dusting in the end

Bechamel Sauce (Non Cheese)
Melt 1/4 stick of butter and add 3 tablespoons of flour, stir with wooden spoon and add some milk and keep stirring on low heat before seasoning with salt, pepper and some nutmeg. Remove from heat and add one egg yolk and stir again on the stove for a short while before removing from the heat. The mixture should be thick and creamy.

Lay breadcrumbs in an oiled pan, layer the roasted eggplants and layer meat sauce over followed by another layer of eggplant (I only did one layer), add the bechamel sauce and bake for 30 minutes, then top with shredded cheese and Parmesan and bake for another 10 minutes, let it cook before serving.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm... this looks soooo good.. Hint hint. :-))

milee said...

Hint noted...but just beware that looks can be deceiving:-)

Minah Drama said...

hey milee, i tried a moussaka last week. got the recipe from videojug. it actually recommended to peel the eggplants which i think make it a lot easier to eat.
the nutmeg really makes a

difference ah? clever la you