Monday, August 20, 2007

Joe's Chicken Curry



I had one of the most fantastic surprises for dinner on Saturday night, Joe decided he will whip up dinner! I was not allowed anywhere near the kitchen and when I did get close enough I was nicely told to exit the kitchen:-) Its been 12 good years since he has slaved over the stove and my oh my what a treat his chicken curry and cucumber salad turned out to be, not to mention the way he layed the table and chose a suitable white wine to wash the curry down delicioulsy with:-)! It was very tasty and we wiped our plates clean...yes yes I know he is my husband but in this instance I am allowed to be bias!



He has very kindly shared his recipe which I reproduce here:-

Ingredients
Half a chicken
1 yellow onion sliced
4 pips of garlic sliced
2-3 inch pieces of ginger sliced
1 green chili
2 tomatoes chopped
2 potatoes cubed
Coriander leaves to garnish
Pepper and Salt to taste

Spices : a few cloves, one to two star anise and one cinnamon
Powders : 2 tablespoons of meat powder, 1 tablespoon of chili powder, 1 teaspoon each of turmeric, coriander and cumin (Mixed together and then stirred with a cup of water)

Method
Fry the garlic, ginger and onion in some oil till aromatic, then add the spices and give it a quick stir before adding one chopped tomato and the green chili. After 2 minutes or so add the powder mixture and let this boil for a good 5-7 minutes before adding the chicken and potatoes, add another 1 1/2 cups of water and let this simmer for 15 minutes with the lid on. Stir the curry every so often. After 15 minutes remove the lid and check the doness of the potatoes, add salt and pepper and add water is needed. Let it simmer for another 10 minutes without the lid and adjust to taste. Remove from the fire and garnish with coriander.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG.... was bob feeling alright on saturday....... :P

milee said...

:-) yes he was perfectly fine..he was being a very sweet husband.

Anonymous said...

Wah....your in the *** now, will be expected more often, not only 12 years apart...grin..and not only at your place either, better send a sample here as well...Aussie white only though..gramps.

Anonymous said...

Joe, sorry for the late comment..I always knew you had this hidden talent...and I am sure there would be more of this goodies coming up..Im sure I could make time to drop in....say next w'end..great..Thanks.