Sunday, October 7, 2007

Roast Chicken



I went to bed thinking that I would make Mutton Curry for Sunday lunch, I woke up however feeling like I did not want to spend Sunday morning slaving over the fire. So Chicken Roast seemed like little effort and off I went to the market to get me a nice plump bird.

I marinated the chicken with some salt, freshly grounded black pepper, paprika, mixed herbs and some terriyaki sauce. Then I set about slicing some Japanese cucumbers, Romano tomatoes and added some olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I boiled some potatoes and once cooked I mashed them with some butter, evaporated milk and salt.

After an hour I drizzled some olive oil over the chicken and put it in the oven (turning once) for 1 hour at 160 degrees.

Once the chicken was cooked I removed the pan juices to a pan on the fire and added 1 teaspoon of flour to make the roux, to this I added half a cup of chicken broth and 1/4 cup of water. Once it reached the consistency I desire I removed it from the fire and sieved it into a gravy boat.

Simple and fuss free meal of Roast Chicken with Mash and Balsamic tomatoes and cucumber!

No comments: