Sunday, September 2, 2007

Fish & Chips


I must credit the batter recipe here to Katie and Ron Pearce. On one of their visits here, Ron gave me the secret to that fluffy batter, simply some beer:-) I remember on that occasion using half a can and the other half Ron gulped down in a flash much to Katie's dismay:-))

Today's fish and chips could have been better, I think I rushed to fry the pieces without waiting for the oil to be boiling hot resulting in me having to refry the pieces when I realised the insides were not cooked! And it would help if you had one of those fryers instead of the stove top frying. I realised as the fries were frying that we did not have any tarter sauce so I improvised by mixing mayo with some cucumber relish...it was as good as the real thing!

Dory Fillets (next time I will use Pollock)
Mix together some Cayenne, Paprika, Salt and Pepper and marinate with the fish fillets.

Batter - Mix together some flour, some bicarbonate soda, some beer (or you may use soda water) and a pinch of salt. Whisk it well and let it sit for 30 minutes.


Before frying just coat each fish slice with the batter and slip into boiling hot oil and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side. Drain and serve hot.

No comments: